2018 Patriots IDP: Change My Mind!
For a team that has such success, I would not bank on them to be huge contributors to your IDP teams again this year. Typically ranked in the top 10 defenses, they use a similar approach to their entire defense as they do the running backs, where, on a week to week basis you’ll have no clue who’s going to be “the guy” but someone will and it will drive you nuts guessing who!
When it comes to draft picks this year, defensively there’s no one that stands out as early IDP contributors to your team Duke Dawson I don’t expect to get much action early and figures to be a slot corner in their system. After Dawson, they didn’t pick again till the 5th round but went back to back linebackers in Ja’Whaun Bentley and Christian Sam whom both can figure to be rotational guys in the future but the team hasn’t produced a lot of starting-caliber IDP linebackers here recently so I’d take a wait-and-see approach to that position.
In the offseason they made multiple trades to Cleveland, acquiring Jason McCourty and Danny Shelton, unfortunately, I don’t get the warm fuzzies from either of them. As a Detroit guy, I’m getting an inside look on how New England’s defense runs and as great as it is, planning week to week based on opponent and not married to the scheme doesn’t help IDP players all that much.
Of the 2017 Patriots, really only Trey Flowers and Devin McCourty stood out as guys that were helping your team week to week. Flowers turned in 45 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and 6.5 sacks where McCourty led the team in tackles with 77, along with 17 assists and interception and a fumble recovery. I’d expect to see him dip down in tackles as 2017 saw his career high in solo tackles, so he isn’t a guy I’m going after early and neither is flowers.
Names to keep an eye on with this team include Elandon Roberts, a player that his first two years saw his stats continue to increase from 2016 to 2017, and Marquis Flowers is another guy the Patriots like and in his 1st year with the team saw plenty of snaps and turning in 3.5 sacks while only starting 2 games.
If I were to rank their IDP players I’d go as follows:
- Trey Flowers – DE/DT (Bye-Week Startable Player)
- Devin McCourty – S (Bye-Week Startable Player)
- Deatrich Wise – DE/DT (Great rookie campaign, gaining trust but still a stash)
- Elandon Roberts – ILB (Stash)
- Patrick Chung – S (You get what you get with him, I’ll look elsewhere)
- Marquis Flowers – OLB (Stash)
- Stephon Gilmore – CB (Their #1 but will probably continue to not see a ton of action, only having 45 solo tackles and 2 interceptions last year)
- Derek Rivers – DE/DT (You just never know, has the draft pedigree and Mr. Belichick gets the most out of guys or sends them packing)
- D’onta Hightower – OLB (More of a name than contributor lately)
- Duron Harmon -S (Stash)
- Adrian Clayborn – DE/DT (Oldie but maybe goodie?)
Good luck building those IDP defenses!
Help Support Dynasty RedZone
by shopping for your favorite NFL gear on Fanatics.com.