Brad Menendez | Dec 15, 2018 | 0
32 Fantasy Thoughts, Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I hope this Holiday weekend was full of good food, great times with friends and family and fantasy victories!
Up here in Canada, the Canadian Football League Championship was decided this past Sunday. The Calgary Stampeders defeated the Ottawa Renegades 26-17 in the 106th Grey Cup. Calgary won their first Grey Cup since 2014 and had lost the previous two title games. Eastern Washington alum Bo Levi Mitchell was named the game’s MVP. Mitchell is a free agent and will head south to try and kick-start his NFL career. It will be an interesting offseason for the CFL their current collective bargaining agreement has expired, and most of the league’s top talent are UFA. There is a chance more than ever that you will see a large amount of CFL free agents attempting to head south in 2019. It is the CFL, but is there another Cameron Wake, or Jeff Garcia on there way?
Moving on, how about we focus on the best league on the planet, the NFL. Week 12 is in the books, and most us have seen our trade deadlines come and go. Leagues are ramping up for the playoffs and this is the time of year we have all been waiting for. Good luck everyone, bring home the ship!!
32 Fantasy Thoughts
1. Christian McCaffrey recorded the highest point total of the season with his 46.7-point performance against Seattle. The previous owner of the highest scorer was Tyreek Hill and his week 11 performance of 43.5.
2. CMC became the first player this season with over 100 rushing and receiving yards in the same game and the first to accomplish that feat since Todd Gurley in week 16 of 2017.
3. The 46.7 points are a career high for McCaffrey and he now sits as RB4 in PPR scoring with 265.5 points and an average of 24.1 points per game.
4. Saquon Barkley finished his day in week 12 with 33.2 fantasy points. He has exceeded 20 fantasy points for the 10th time this season moving him into a tie with Eric Dickerson for the most 20+ point games by a rookie at any position.
5. Barkley now sits at 286 points on the season which places him at RB2 behind only Todd Gurley.
6. The most ridiculous stat of the week for Saquon, is somehow he only received 5 touches in the second half. Had the Giants not gone to sleep we would be talking about a 40+ point effort for Barkley.
7. Baker Mayfield is on a roll and is showing us all why the Cleveland Browns made him the #1 overall selection in the 2017 NFL entry draft. Mayfield beat up on a pathetic Bengals defense and recorded a career-high 25.9 fantasy points.
8. It was the third time in the past 5 contests that Baker has surpassed the 20-point mark. In that 5-game run, he has averaged 233.2 passing yards and has thrown 13 touchdowns vs 2 interceptions.
9. Jarvis Landry has had some amazing match-ups in his past 5 games. The Buccaneers, Steelers, Chiefs, Falcons, and Bengals. He has a quarterback as mentioned above that is on a roll, and Landry, for the most part, has not been involved. During this 5-week span, Landry is WR31 with an average of 11.7 points per game. His high mark over the past 5 weeks was 25.7 fantasy points in week 7. In the 4 games since he has totaled 32.9 points.
10. Antonio Callaway (2), Seth DeValve, Duke Johnson (3), Nick Chubb (2), Rashard Higgins, David Njoku, Derek Fells have all scored a receiving touchdown since Landry last scored one in week 7.
11. Leonard Fournette in a just under 3 full quarters of football scored 25.8 fantasy points this week. He was ejected with 2:52 remaining in the third quarter against Buffalo after throwing a few punches. Fournette has recorded three straight games over 20 points since returning from injury. He has been suspended for week 13, increasing the value of Carlos Hyde and TJ Yeldon.
12. Zach Ertz remains an elite TE. After a disappointing week 11 contest, Ertz bounced back in week 12 to score 22.1 fantasy points and reclaim top spot in PPR scoring at the TE position. In the last three weeks, Ertz has averaged 22 points which includes his 3.5-point week 11 dud.
13. In the week 12 victory over the New York Giants, Ertz collected his 84th reception of the season which sets a Philadelphia Eagles franchise record for receptions at the TE position. The previous best was Keith Jackson’s 81 set back in 1988. With 5 weeks remaining he is on pace for 122 receptions, 1301 yards, and 8.7 touchdowns this season.
14. When the Cleveland Browns traded Carlos Hyde to the Jacksonville Jaguars prior to the NFL trade deadline this season I thought that it provided an excellent opportunity for Nick Chubb. What I didn’t expect was for Chubb to be a rock-solid RB1. Since taking over the top role for the Browns in week 7, Chubb is the 8th highest scoring RB with 103.2 points and is up to RB21 on the season. Nick Chubb is a must-start RB going forward.
15. Josh Allen returned to the Bills starting lineup this past week in a matchup with the Jacksonville Jaguars. In the process, Allen recorded 26.3 fantasy points and finished as QB4 in week 12. The craziest part of this contest was Allen only completed 8 passes for 160 yards and a touchdown. He just happened to be the Bills leading rusher with 99 yards on 13 carries. He also scored a rushing TD.
16. Amari Cooper was basically left for dead in the Oakland Raiders offense this season. Thankfully for Amari and his fantasy owners he was sent to the Dallas Cowboys for a first round selection in the 2018 NFL draft. Since his move to Dallas Cooper has averaged 18.7 points per game and has risen from WR68 to WR27. Because of that trade, Cooper has also only played in 10 games this season. During his time as a Cowboy Cooper is WR8 overall.
17. Cooper scored 38 fantasy points in PPR scoring on Thanksgiving Day. The 38 points were the highest among the 77 skill position players to suit up on Thursday. His performance was the highest Thanksgiving Day result since Sterling Shepard posted 45.2 points in 1994.
18. Phillip Rivers tied the NFL record for consecutive completions and broke records for the most completions to start a game and the highest completion percentage in a game during the Chargers destruction on the Arizona Cardinals. Rivers completed his first 25 attempts and finished the day 28 of 29 for 259 yards with three touchdowns. Rivers left this one with the game well in hand after three quarters.
19. Melvin Gordon injured his knee in week 12(sprained MCL), in a game that he arguably should never have played in. Prior to his knee injury, Gordon rushed 10 times for 61 yards and 2 touchdowns. Austin Ekeler finished the game with 103 total yards (35 rushing, 68 receiving), and a TD. 7th round draft choice Justin Jackson turned his 7 carries into 57 yards. Gordon is week to week and both Ekeler and Jackson have value in the weeks he is out.
20. JuJu Smith-Shuster had a 97-yard TD reception in the week 12 loss to Denver. He finished the game with 13 receptions on 17 targets for 189 yards. The 97-yard score ties the 3rd longest TD catch in NFL history.
21. Lamar Miller ripped off a 97-yard rushing touchdown and finished with 162 yards on 12 carries. Miller becomes the first player in NFL history with 2 97-yard rushing touchdowns.
22. Houston set a franchise record with their 8th straight victory and became the first team in NFL history to win 8 straight after starting 0-3.
23. Andrew Luck completed 3 touchdown passes for the 8th straight game. He now only trails Tom Brady who accomplished the feat in 10 straight. Up next for Luck and the Colts is a week 13 date in Jacksonville. In week 10 vs the Jags, Luck was 21/29/285 yards with you guessed it 3 TD passes. Week 14 Luck faces the Houston Texans down in Houston.
24. Eric Ebron was on the receiving end of 2 of Luck’s 3 TD passes this week. Ebron now has 44 catches for 508 yards and 11 touchdowns on the season. He also has an additional rushing touchdown. Ebron is in striking range of Rob Gronkowski and his NFL record 18 touchdowns by a TE set in 2011.
25. Adam Thielen finished the week 12 victory over Green Bay with 8 catches on 9 targets for 125 yards and a TD. The 100+ yard receiving day was his 9 of the season and his first since week 8 against the Saints.
26. Greg Olsen was in a great position to provide his fantasy owners with a big day. With Devin Funchess out of the lineup, one would figure Olsen would produce. In the end, Olsen caught 2 of his 4 targets for 11 yards.
27. What do Dan Arnold, Tommylee Lewis, Austin Carr, and Keith Kirkwood have in common? Well, they are all members of the New Orleans Saints, they are all undrafted free agents and they all scored a receiving touching from Drew Brees in week 12.
28. Rob Gronkowski returned from injury to collect 3 of 7 targets for 56 yards and his first touchdown since week 1. His day was saved by the 34-yard touchdown, reception. Without that catch, Gronk would have finished with 2 catches for 22 yards. 4.2 PPR points are not what Gronk owners are looking for. The positive here is that the 7 targets were a team high.
29. Corey Davis caught all four of his targets for 96 yards and a touchdown in the 34-17 loss to Houston. He also added 39 yards on his lone rushing attempt. Davis has been wildly inconsistent in 2018 and will be a boom or bust WR2 in week 13 vs the Jets.
30. Jonnu Smith caught both of his targets for 63 yards and a touchdown. Smith caught his first target for a gain of two yards and his second for a 61-yard TD. He wasn’t heard from again the remainder of the game. Smith has seen his role increased in recent weeks with Taywan Taylor injured, but he’s still very unreliable.
31. Marcus Mariota completed 22-of-23 passes for 304 yards and two touchdowns on Monday night. He completed his first 19 passes of the night. Mariota didn’t have his first incompletion until there was 1:06 left in the fourth quarter. He finished with a 147.7 passer rating and threw 61- and 48-yard touchdown passes to Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis, respectively.
32. Week 12 concluded the bye week portion of the schedule for 2018. Its full systems go with each team playing weekly from here on out. Hopefully, you have clinched a playoff berth or are pushing for one in the coming weeks.