Brad Menendez | Dec 15, 2018 | 0
32 Fantasy Thoughts – TY Hilton, Andrew Luck, and Saquon Barkley
There are some weeks that you love fantasy football, and there are some weeks that you hate fantasy football.
Week 11 was full of both of those emotions for me. I lost basically all my match-ups this week, knocking me out of the playoffs in the majority of leagues. In the league that means the most to me I lost by 1.1 points and to be honest I am not even close to getting over it.
Last night I won a few bucks on Draft Kings, so there is the love for fantasy shinning through. The Chiefs/Rams game was an amazing and I loved every minute of it, the only part I didn’t love was my lack of shares in that matchup.
32 Fantasy Thoughts
1. TY Hilton posted 36.5 points this week was the top scorer at all positions in week 11 until Patrick Mahomes and Tyreek Hill took it to the Rams on Monday. Hilton finished 9/155/2 on 9 targets. The 36.5-point outburst was 2.9 points higher than his previous 3 games combined. Andrew Luck has been hot all season, and hopefully, for Hilton’s owners, this is the start of TY getting hot alongside him.
2. Andrew Luck is quickly becoming one of the most consistent quarterbacks in fantasy football. His week 11 performance was his 7th straight contest with over 20 fantasy points. Week 11 is the 7th time this season that Luck finished in the top 10 at his position.
3. Luck completed 3 TD passes for the 7th consecutive game. That accomplishment ties him with Dan Marino and he trails only Peyton Manning with 8 and Tom Brady with 10.
4. Luck has dropped back to pass without being sacked in 214 consecutive snaps. Those dropbacks span over the course of the Colts last 23 quarters of football. It’s amazing what a quality offensive line can do for a QB.
5. With his 35.2-point performance this past week, Saquon Barkley and his 252.8 fantasy points are now the 4th highest all-time in a player’s first 10 career games. He trails only, Eric Dickerson (293), Patrick Mahomes (270.8) and Marcus Allen (255.3).
6. Barkley eclipsed the 20 point plateau for the 9th time which is the second most by any rookie in history, He trails only Eric Dickerson’s 10.
7. With 2 receptions this week, Saquon now has 64 on the season and trails Reggie Bush’s record of 88 by 24.
8. Ezekiel Elliot posted three consecutive weeks (6,7, and 9) that totaled 40.1 points (13.4/game), and he was looking beaten up. I feared that the RB we have seen in Dallas was on the downturn. Well, since then Zeke has posted back to back games over 33 points. In week’s 10 & 11 combined he has totaled 42/273/2 on the ground and 13/115/1 receiving. Zeke is rounding into the form that had me rank him as my #1 overall RB in the preseason.
9. DJ Moore had the breakout game of his rookie season in week 11, posting 28.7 fantasy points in the loss to Detroit. Moore saw a season-high 8 targets and turned them into 7 catches for 157 yards (both season highs), and a touchdown.
10. Detroit traded Golden Tate to Philadelphia at the deadline and Marvin Jones Jr. was injured in the Lions week 10 setting up a possible breakout week for Kenny Golladay in week 11. KG ended with a team-high 14 targets and turned them into 8 catches for 113 yards and a touchdown. The 25.3 fantasy points were a season high and it marks the second time he has gone over 20 points this season. He will have a tough test in week 12 vs the Chicago Bears on Thanksgiving Day.
11. Green Bay Packers fell to 0-5 on the road with their loss to Seattle on Thursday Night. My takeaways from this one are; Aaron Jones in a legit RB1, Arron Rodgers needs to call his own plays, Mike McCarthy should be fired. The Packers are in tough the rest of the way with a defense that is riddled with injuries.
12. Aaron Jones scored 27.3 points this week and recorded his second consecutive game with over 25 fantasy points. The last two weeks are the top performances of the second year RB’s career. Hopefully, the Packers will continue to use Jones as their bell-cow going forward.
13. Doug Baldwin made the claim that he was 100% for the first time all season prior to kicking off vs the Green Bay Packers in week 11. Baldwin secured 7 of his 10 targets for 52 yards and a TD. This was the best Baldwin has looked all season and gives his owners hope for the remainder of the season.
14. Chris Carson returned from injury to lead the Seattle backfield with 17 carries and 83 yards. In addition rookie, Rashaad Penny turned his 8 carries into 46 yards which included a highlight reel 30-yard run. Penny is starting to round into form and validate the Seahawks draft capital spend. This will be an interesting backfield to watch going forward.
15. Mike Evans fell on a football that was fumbled in the end zone and it helped to kick-start a rather pedestrian start. The QB change benefited Evans in this one as well. Winston hit Evans on a 44 yard TD late in this one to turn 13.6 point game into a 24 point outing.
16. The QB carousel continues in Tampa Bay. Jameis Winston took over from Ryan Fitzpatrick for the season time this season. Winston finished 12/16 for 199 yards with 2 TD passes and 1 interception. It’s likely that Winston is the starting QB in week 12 vs San Francisco. Winston has been named the starter for the Bucs in week 12 vs San Francisco and if I owned him (which I do), I am starting him.
17. Philip Lindsay continued his outstanding season this week. Lindsay recorded 24.6 fantasy points (career high), in the Broncos surprising win over the Chargers. Lindsay has now scored a total of 145.70 points and sits at RB 12 after 11 weeks.
18. Tre’Quan Smith had the best game of his young career Sunday vs the Philadelphia Eagles. Smith finished the day 10/157/1 on 13 targets. Tre’Quan has benefited from the injury to Ted Ginn Jr as well as the injury to Dez Bryant. The Saints have signed Brandon Marshall but I do not see him as a threat to the rookie WR at all.
19. Alex Smith suffered a horrific season-ending injury this week. The crazy part of this injury was it occurred 33 years ago to the exact day that Redskins QB Joe Theismann suffered his famous injury. Hopefully, Smith recovers and gets back for next season. I would hate to see him end his career in the same fashion as Theismann.
20. Lamar Jackson made his first professional start at QB for the Baltimore Ravens, and he led his team to a 24-21 victory. Jackson finished 13/19 for 150 yards and an interception. He did most of his damage with his legs, rushing 27 times for 117 yards. Joe Flacco may or may not be back for week 12 vs Oakland and if Flacco remains out, I would fire up Jackson once again.
21. Josh Adams was promised more work by his head coach leading up to the Eagles week 11 matchup with New Orleans. Doug Peterson may or may not have been telling the truth but game script dictated Adams’ workload regardless. The Eagles rookie finished with 7 carries for 53 yards and a touchdown. He added 3 catches for an additional 19 yards. Adams remains the best Eagles RB currently and see more productivity in week 12 vs the Giants.
22. The Oakland Raiders won a football game in week 11. They now sit 2-8 on the season. In the victory, they lost Brandon LaFell to a suspected torn Achilles. The Raiders will roll into week 12 with Seth Roberts and Marcell Ateman as their top two WR’s.
23. Dalvin Cook’s nightmare second season continued in week 11. The Chicago Bears #1 defense simply would not allow Cook any room to run. He scored 2 fantasy points on 12 touches and he lost a fumble. Did I mention how he cost me a win this week?! It’s ok Dalvin you can make it up to all your owners in week 12 vs Green Bay.
24. Ben Roethlisberger entered the second half against the Jacksonville Jaguars trailing 9-0 with negative fantasy points. In the end, the Steelers pulled out a 20-16 come from behind victory and Big Ben finished with 23.6 fantasy points and QB 6 for the week. The Steelers have now won 6 straight.
25. Houston started the season 0-3 and have now won 7 straight since. This is the first time since 1925 that a team has started 0-3 and then won their next 7 straight. It wasn’t pretty this week, but Deshawn Watson survived two interceptions and spread the ball around fairly well in this one.
26. The Monday night game was a game for the ages. It was the third highest scoring game in NFL history and highest scoring MNF game ever. Both teams combined for 56 first downs, 1001 total yards, and 105 points, 14 TDs.
27. Todd Gurley had scored a touchdown in 13 straight games so for that steak to end in a game in which the Rams scored 5 offensive touchdowns is hard to comprehend. Gurley carried the ball 12 times for 55 yards secured all three targets for an additional 39 yards. Gurley appeared to be injured early in this one, but if he was he managed to play thru it. If Malcolm Brown is available in your leagues, grab him, and if he isn’t I would explore trading for him prior to your deadline.
28. Tyreek Hill caught 10 of 14 targets for 215 yards and 2 touchdowns. The plan to put Sam Shields on Hill and allow Marcus Peters to cover Travis Kelce clearly wasn’t a success. Hill’s 43.5 fantasy points were tops in week 11.
29. With a 28.7 point performance in Week 11, Travis Kelce moved into top spot amongst TE’s in 2018. He leads Zach Ertz by 13 points and George Kittle by 53 points. Kittle and Ertz have had played one less game. Barring injuries, the top TE on 2018 is a two horse race.
30. Patrick Mahomes tuned the ball over 5 times against the Los Angeles Rams and still managed to score his career high in fantasy points (38.92). He topped 30 points for the third time this season and raised his average weekly total to 28.1 this season in the process. Patrick Mahomes
31. Gerald Everett entered week 11 with 39.1 fantasy points, an average of 3.91/game. He recorded 19.9 fantasy points in week 11 (34% of his season’s total) and increased his average to 5.4 points per game in the process. Mahomes enters his bye week as the only player in fantasy to have exceeded 300 points season to date and leads the 2nd highest scorer (Todd Gurley) by 12.3 points.
32. 4 of this weeks top 10 scorers came out of the Monday night game; Hill (1st), Mahomes (2nd), Goff (5th), and Kelce (10th). Rams and Chiefs are the only two teams on a bye in week 12. I think they earned a break!